|Title:||Administrative Assistant with Accounts Payable|
|Job Type:||Full Time (Non-Exempt)|
|Posting End Date:||10/31/2017|
City of Melissa
Administrative Assistant with Accounts Payable
(Applications without a Resume and Cover Letter will be considered incomplete and will not be considered for this position.)
Reports To: Finance Director
Classification: Full-Time Non-Exempt
Salary Range: $33,000 - $35,000 D.O.Q.
Under general direction, the purpose of this position is to complete payments and control expenses by receiving, processing, verifying and reconciling invoices. As well as provide administrative support to the City Manager, Finance Director, City Secretary and HR Manager/Finance Assistant. In addition, the position will perform a wide variety of complex clerical and administrative duties that will require a working knowledge of city administration operations, proficient computer skills, and a strong ability to multi-task. This is not meant to be all inclusive, other duties may be assigned.
General supervision is provided by the Finance Director.
Examples of Duties:
- Administratively supporting City Manager, City Secretary, Finance Director and Human Resources Manager/Finance Assistant.
- Assist with complex projects for the City Secretary, Finance Director, Human Resources Manager/Finance Assistant, and the City Manager as needed.
- Assists and directs citizens with questions requiring knowledge of the City of Melissa in person or by phone
- Front Desk Receptionist for Administration Suite
- Ordering and Stocking Office Supplies, including tracking and ordering printer cartridges for large copier
- Petty Cash Reconciliation
- Open, Sort and Stamp AP Mail
- Receive and File Purchase Requisitions
- Match Invoices and Purchase Requisitions for AP Processing
- Follow Up on Invoices Without Purchase Requisitions
- Enters invoices for payment
- Prints checks, match them with the invoices, and provides them to the Finance Assistant for approval to pay
- Prepare Vendor Spreadsheets (i.e. Electric Provider, Benefit Statements, etc)
- Process and Mail AP Checks once they are approved and signed
- File Check Copies and AP Backup Documents
- Phone Support with Vendors and Departments for Open/Paid AP
- Request new Fuelman Cards and Pin numbers for new employees, as needed
- Prepare and submit Sales Tax Exemption Certificates as needed
- Maintains all Accounts Payable files
- Provides purchasing support for the Fire Department
- Coordinates and schedules meetings/appointments
- Records Management (i.e. scan and catalog documents)
- Budget record retention support
- Maintain under direct supervision of the City Secretary, all records retention logs, inventory and destruction documents
- Provides clerical support as needed, on file folders, forms, labels, filing, etc.
- Assist with City Council interaction and communications
- Assist with City Council packets before/after meetings; And City Council mail every Friday
- Boards and Commissions (i.e. Expiration dates/letters; Schedule interviews with City Council; Track training for new members)
- Support mailings of notification of property owners regarding annexation, zoning issues/questions
- Assists in travel arrangements and reservations for council and staff
- Assist with employee tenure program
- Assist with new hire packets
- Assist with personnel record retention
- Other duties as assigned
- Education and Experience
- High School Diploma or GED required. Associate's or Undergraduate Degree preferred but not required.
- Two (2) years of Accounts Payable or related experience required. Any combination of education and experience which would provide the applicant with the desired knowledge, skills and ability required to perform the job.
- Must possess a valid Class “C” driver’s license prior to employment
- An equivalent combination of education and experience
- Advance proficiency in Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, and Outlook).
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
Knowledge of: Organization and operation of municipal government; Principles and practices of budgets and administration; Principles and practices of accounting; Principles and practices of customer service; Principles, practices, and methods of records management; Local and state laws relating to retention requirements and public information; Principles of business letter writing; Policies and procedures of the assigned department; English usage, spelling, grammar, and punctuation; Methods and techniques of data collection, research, and report preparation; Modern office procedures, methods and equipment including computers and supporting applications; Principles and practices of record keeping and records management.
Skill in: Interpersonal relationships, initiative, resourcefulness, creativity, and problem solving; Advanced office procedures and in the operation of standard office equipment, including computer keyboard, 10-key data entry; Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, & Outlook); Excellent customer service; and time management.
Ability to: Work independently in absence of supervision; Respond to citizen inquiries politely; Understand and carry out oral and written directions; Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing; Keep confidential information confidential; Establish and maintain effective working relationships with those contacted in the course of work; Handle money accurately; Edit and proofread documents accurately; Exhibit regular and punctual attendance; Exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving a variety of general duties which are characterized by frequent change; Bend and reach to file, classify, categorize, prioritize and/or analyze data and/or information; sustain sedentary to light work which may involve some lifting, sorting, carrying objects and materials of light weight (5-10 pounds).
The intent of this position description is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbent in this position. Incumbent may not be required to perform all duties in this description and may be required to perform position-related tasks other than those specifically listed in this description.